Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Can't Question my Fanhood

As an avid Knicks fan this juncture of the NBA season is the most exciting-- and nerve wracking. The off season gives each Franchise-- especially less successful teams-- the opportunity to shake up their rosters in a major way. The draft holds the promise of selecting prospective NBA stars, while in a week the free agency period allows you to court established talent. Fun times indeed! I'll go as far as to say this time of the year is the most thrilling for me. The Knicks haven't produced a winning product in years, so once that all too familiar scent of failure is in the air once the ball hits the hardwood, I yearn for  the aroma of hope brewing in the off season. My mouth waters in anticipation of another painful year coming to a merciful end, signifying the beginning of the other season. But while the off season provides a thrill, it also brings with it anxiety. Again, I'm a die- hard Knicks fan, and with the stress I endure during this time you'd think I was on the MSG payroll and entrusted with these crucial decisions personally! Sheesh! Well, tonight kicks off what should be a busy summer for my Knickerbockers. We have the opportunity to trade into the first round (we lost our first round pick in a previous trade) and to pursue a bevy of exceptional free agents. We also have significant cap room for the first time a long, and a shrewd veteran President in Donnie Walsh overseeing all decisions. While resources and a competent executive help, it hardly quells the butterflies wreaking havoc in my gut. There are a variety of ways to use this money including: buying draft picks, signing Free Agents (be it straight- up, or sign/trade from FA's previous team), and trading for players. With optimism surrounding this upcoming 2011 regular season, here's to hoping President Walsh cooks up something good between now and then!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

SMH! Aren't you a faithful soul Because of the NYK not only did I give up on them but lost the love of the game altogether :(

Post a Comment